Nancy Guthrie was taken from her Arizona home in the middle of the night and her killers are still free.
Now the Trump administration's top law enforcement officer has stepped forward with his answer on what happens next.
What Todd Blanche told the country this week will not sit well with anyone demanding justice for this family.
Todd Blanche Says FBI Is Not Taking Over the Nancy Guthrie Case
Attorney General Todd Blanche sat down with NBC's Meet the Press – the network where Savannah Guthrie anchors the Today show – and the country was watching.
Host Kristen Welker asked him directly: was it finally time for the FBI to take the lead in a case that has gone cold for half a year?
Blanche said federal investigators would continue providing manpower and forensic support to Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos, who has held primary oversight since February 1.
"Whether we come in with sharp elbows and take it over, that's not necessarily the right thing to do for her," Blanche told Welker.
He added that he had no new information to share and wished he did.
"I know that this type of case is heartbreaking, especially when it plays out nationally as this one has," Blanche said.
Eleven days earlier, FBI Director Kash Patel had been asked a similar question at a Justice Department press conference about an unrelated topic – and simply walked away without answering.
Federal Kidnapping Law Gives the FBI Automatic Jurisdiction After 24 Hours
Congress passed the Federal Kidnapping Act in 1932 after the Lindbergh baby murder exposed a crippling gap in American justice: local authorities could not pursue kidnappers who crossed state lines, and criminals exploited every inch of that gap.
The law created what prosecutors call a rebuttable presumption – if a victim is not returned within 24 hours, federal law presumes interstate transport occurred and the FBI gains automatic jurisdiction.
Nancy Guthrie has been missing for six months.
Under that law, the FBI does not need anyone's permission to take the lead. Blanche's "sharp elbows" framing signals a deliberate choice to defer to Arizona authorities – not a legal obligation.
The ransom notes trigger additional federal authority. The first note demanded cryptocurrency. A second note, released publicly in late July, claimed Nancy died shortly after being taken and is buried in nature.
Transmitting ransom demands across any interstate channel – email, phone, mail – places a case squarely under federal jurisdiction. These notes were sent to multiple Tucson television stations.
Six Months Into the Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping and Still No Suspects Named
The evidence is real.
Doorbell camera footage captured an armed man tampering with the lens in the early hours of February 1. Blood on the front porch tested as Nancy's. DNA from an unknown individual was recovered inside her home.
Her pacemaker app disconnected at 2:28 a.m., giving investigators a precise window for the abduction.
A California forensics lab that helped crack the Gilgo Beach serial killer case has been brought in to work the evidence.
None of it has produced a suspect.
The Pima County Board of Supervisors moved unanimously to demand answers from Sheriff Nanos about how the investigation has been run. The FBI reward stands at $100,000. The Guthrie family has put up $1 million of their own money. That is $1.1 million sitting on the table – and still no one has talked.
What Trump and Kash Patel Have Pledged in the Nancy Guthrie Investigation
Both President Trump and FBI Director Patel pledged full federal resources to this investigation from day one.
The FBI's forensic lab at Quantico has been processing evidence, and special agents remain on the ground in Tucson.
The resources exist. The problem is who controls them.
Forced federal takeovers can complicate prosecutions – defense attorneys have exploited jurisdictional conflicts to walk guilty men out of courtrooms.
But the Lindbergh Law was written precisely because local investigations sometimes cannot get the job done. Congress settled that argument in 1932, after a child ended up dead and no one faced accountability for years.
Nancy Guthrie is still missing. Savannah Guthrie goes on national television every morning and holds it together. One million dollars of that family's own money has gone into bringing her home.
Todd Blanche called it a question of sharp elbows. Six months without a suspect, without an arrest, and without an answer — that is what this family is living with.
Sources:
- "The Search So Far: Investigation Into Nancy Guthrie's Disappearance in Photos," Fox News, February 12, 2026.
- "Nancy Guthrie Disappearance: Day 83 Latest Updates," Fox 10 Phoenix, April 24, 2026.
- "Fox News True Crime Newsletter: Nancy Guthrie Glitch," Fox News, March 13, 2026.
- "FBI Director Kash Patel Touts 'Brilliant Partnership' That Led to New Footage in Guthrie Investigation," Fox News, February 10, 2026.

